For you, good is never good enough. You expect perfection from yourself and from those around you. You get to work early, stay late, and can’t remember the last time you had a truly relaxing day off.
Sure, you sometimes withdraw from your friends or become irritable with loved ones, but that’s just the price of chasing success, right?
If this scenario sounds familiar to you, there are a few factors that may be to blame.
You might be struggling to properly prioritize. You could have read one too many articles about “hustle culture.” Or you may be living with high-functioning anxiety.
What Is High-Functioning Anxiety?
Anxiety disorders are among the most common types of mental illness in the United States:
- According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), more than 19% of adults in the U.S. had an anxiety disorder in the previous 12 months.
- The 2020 census counted more than 258 million adults.
- This means that, in an average year, more than 49 million Americans ages 18 and over are dealing with an anxiety disorder.
The impact of anxiety can vary widely from person to person. For some people, it is an inconvenience that makes life a bit more difficult. For others, it is a debilitating experience that prevents them from actively engaging in a full life.
In still other cases, anxiety symptoms can push people to live what appear to be extremely successful lives. These people may have a condition that’s referred to as high-functioning anxiety.
High-functioning anxiety doesn’t appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). However, that does not mean that it is not a legitimate health concern.
The symptoms of high-functioning anxiety may not meet all the criteria for a diagnosis of an established anxiety disorder, but they can still inflict considerable damage.
Signs & Symptoms of High-Functioning Anxiety
High-functioning anxiety can impact virtually every part of your life, including your physical health, your emotional well-being, and your relationships with friends and colleagues.
Here are a few examples of what high-functioning anxiety may look and feel like when you’re working and in the context of your personal life:
Signs of High-Functioning Anxiety at Work
- Feeling that everything you do needs to be perfect
- Fearing that minor mistakes will cause you to be reprimanded or fired
- Being unable to say no when asked to do more work or take on additional responsibilities
- Falling behind due to procrastination and indecisiveness, then working even longer to catch up
- Tying your self-esteem to your professional accomplishments
Symptoms of High-Functioning Anxiety at Home
- Neglecting your own needs in the effort to make other people happy
- Believing that you continually need to earn love and approval through your actions
- Occasionally becoming overwhelmed and needing to isolate yourself from friends and family
- Becoming overly sensitive, restless, and irritable
- Finding it difficult or impossible to fully relax
To others, the outward signs of high-functioning anxiety may look like positive traits. You always get your work done on time, you consistently volunteer to do more, and you appear to be extremely motivated.
However, as the symptoms above indicate, the true impact of high-functioning anxiety is hardly something to be celebrated or emulated.
Negative Effects of High-Functioning Anxiety
Discussions of high-functioning anxiety can often appear to be studies in contrast. People who struggle with this condition may win awards, receive promotions, and be lauded for the example they set. But these accomplishments can come at a steep price.
The following are some of the many potential negative effects of high-functioning anxiety:
- Strained relationships with family, friends, and colleagues
- Development or worsening of mental health disorders
- Substance abuse and addiction
- Diminished confidence and self-esteem
- Inability to experience joy or pleasure
Thankfully, several treatment options have proved to be beneficial for people who have been living with high-functioning anxiety. When you get the help you need, you can begin to live a much happier and more satisfying life.
Benefits of Receiving Care at Arbor Wellness
When you get professional treatment for high-functioning anxiety at Arbor Wellness in Nashville, Tennessee, your life can improve considerably.
Here are four of the many benefits of getting help at our center:
- Personalized service: Our team will take the time to get to know you as an individual. We want to fully understand how you’ve been affected by high-functioning anxiety, so that we can develop the customized plan that will empower you to experience true and lasting healing.
- Compassionate staff: At Arbor Wellness, you will have the opportunity to work in active collaboration with a team of dedicated healthcare experts. Here, you will never be defined by your struggles. Instead, you will be celebrated for the courage you demonstrated when you chose to get help, and we’ll help you learn to value yourself, exactly as you are.
- Comprehensive programming: We offer a wide array of therapies and related activities at multiple levels of care. Our variety of treatment options means that we can select the services that align most closely with your needs and goals. If your high-functioning anxiety is accompanied by addiction or a co-occurring mental health disorder, we can address those concerns as well.
- Detailed aftercare planning: Before you transition out of our care, we’ll make sure that you’re connected with the resources that will support you in the weeks and months to come.
Choosing to enter a mental health treatment center is rarely an easy decision. But getting professional help for high-functioning anxiety can truly be one of the best choices you will ever make.
Find Anxiety Treatment in Nashville, TN
Arbor Wellness offers customized treatment for people in the Nashville area who have been living with high-functioning anxiety. Our full continuum of care includes residential, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, and outpatient programs. When you choose Arbor Wellness, you can rest assured that you will receive superior service in a safe and supportive environment. Contact us today to learn more.