Arbor Wellness in Nashville understands coping with grief can be an incredibly challenging and overwhelming experience. Our complicated grief treatment center is dedicated to providing specialized care and support for individuals who are struggling with complicated grief. At our center, we recognize that loss can take many forms and uniquely impact each person. Whether you have experienced the death of a loved one, the end of a significant relationship, or another form of profound loss, we are here to help guide you through your healing journey.
Request a Confidential Callback
What Is Complicated Grief?
Complicated grief, also known as prolonged grief disorder or persistent complex bereavement disorder, is a type of grief that intensifies over time and becomes significantly more challenging to manage. Unlike the natural process of grieving, which typically lessens in intensity with time, complicated grief remains unresolved and can impede an individual’s ability to resume daily activities and find peace.
It may be characterized by intense yearning for the deceased, excessive preoccupation with the loss, feelings of disbelief or inability to accept the reality of the death, difficulty trusting others or forming new relationships, persistent feelings of emptiness and loneliness, and a sense that life has lost its meaning.
Nashville Complicated Grief Treatment Programs
Our complicated grief treatment center offers comprehensive treatment programs to address the needs of each individual and their level of grief. Our residential program provides a safe and supportive environment for individuals who require intensive care and round-the-clock support. In this program, clients receive personalized therapy sessions, group counseling, holistic healing therapies, and other evidence-based treatments.
Our Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is designed for those who need structured treatment during the day but can return home in the evenings. This program offers individual counseling sessions, group therapy, psychoeducation, and therapeutic activities.
Our Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) may be an ideal option for individuals seeking more flexibility while still receiving effective treatment. IOP allows clients to attend therapy sessions multiple times weekly while continuing with their daily responsibilities, such as work or school.
If You are in need of immediate assistance...
Don’t hesitate to contact us immediately. In the case of a medical emergency please contact 911 or visit your local emergency department.
Signs and Symptoms of Complicated Grief
Recognizing the signs and symptoms of complicated grief can help individuals and loved ones determine when additional support is needed. Some common complicated grief signs and symptoms include:
- Intense and persistent longing or yearning for the deceased individual.
- Difficulty accepting the reality of the loss or an ongoing sense of disbelief.
- Prolonged feelings of emptiness or a deep void in one’s life.
- Preoccupation with thoughts or memories related to the loss, making it challenging to focus on other aspects of life.
- Avoidance or withdrawal from activities that were once enjoyed.
- Trouble finding joy, pleasure, or meaning in daily life without the deceased person present.
- Persistent feelings of anger, guilt, bitterness, and blame towards oneself or others regarding the loss.
- Inability to trust others or form new close relationships after the loss occurred.
- Sleep disturbances such as insomnia or excessive sleeping patterns.
- Physical symptoms like headaches, stomachaches, and fatigue due to emotional distress.
- Turning to alcohol and substances as an unhealthy coping mechanism to find temporary relief from symptoms leading to dependency and addiction.
What to Expect at Our Complicated Grief Treatment Center
At our complicated grief treatment center in Nashville, we provide a caring, compassionate, and comprehensive approach to healing. Here’s what you can expect when seeking treatment with us:
- Personalized Assessment: Upon admission, we will thoroughly assess your unique experiences and needs related to complicated grief.
- Individualized Treatment Plan: Our experienced team will develop an individualized treatment plan tailored specifically for you based on the assessment results.
- Therapeutic Support: Our complicated grief therapists will guide you through therapeutic sessions exploring emotions, processing grief-related feelings, developing healthy coping strategies, and promoting personal growth.
- Group Counseling: You can participate in group counseling sessions where you can connect with others who have experienced similar losses. Through sharing stories, insights, and mutual support within a safe environment, these groups offer a sense of community during your healing journey.
- Holistic Healing: We believe in integrating various holistic approaches into our programs, such as art therapy, yoga, or meditation, to help individuals express themselves creatively and engage in self-care practices that nourish their mind-body connection.
- Medication Management: Some people benefit from medications to help ease the symptoms of their complicated grief. We will assess whether medication management is necessary for your treatment.
- Life Skills Development: Engaging clients in life skills development is essential to recovery and promotes better mental health and overall well-being.
- Aftercare Support: We provide aftercare planning with access to resources and follow-up services to ensure continued progress in your healing.
Our Approach to Treating Complicated Grief
We take a comprehensive and integrative approach to treating complicated grief by providing access to a range of multi-modal treatment approaches and services.
Our experienced psychiatrists provide a variety of psychiatry services through evaluations, personalized care plans, medication management, and treating any co-occurring mental health conditions that exacerbate complicated grief symptoms.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy:
EMDR therapy is highly effective for processing traumatic memories and experiences related to loss. It helps individuals reprocess distressing thoughts and emotions while fostering healing.
For individuals who are experiencing severe depressive symptoms alongside complicated grief, we offer Spravato treatment, which helps alleviate these symptoms.
Holistic Therapy Approaches:
We believe in nurturing mind-body-spirit connections through holistic therapies such as art therapy, yoga, and mindfulness to encourage self-expression, relaxation techniques, and stress reduction strategies related to one’s grief.
Somatic therapy helps address the physiological impact of grief on the body by focusing on body awareness, movement exercises, and biofeedback techniques to release stored emotional tension.
Red Light Therapy:
Non-invasive red light therapy utilizes red light wavelengths to reduce pain and improve mood and sleep patterns while alleviating the physical symptoms associated with complicated grief.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT):
If appropriate and indicated based on assessment, our center offers MAT when it can benefit those struggling with complicated grief.
Biosound therapy combines sound vibrations, music therapy, and vibrational massage to induce a deep state of relaxation and promote emotional healing.
Alpha-Stim is a non-invasive device that uses microcurrent electrical stimulation to help calm the nervous system and alleviate symptoms of anxiety or depression.
Start the Path to Overcome Complicated Grief in Nashville Today
Take the first step today and start the path to overcome your pain and grief. Arbor Wellness in Nashville supports you with personalized care, evidence-based therapies, psychiatric evaluations, and holistic approaches in a caring environment. Don’t let grief hold you back from living a fulfilling life. Contact us now to embark on the transformative path to a brighter tomorrow today.
We Work With Most Major Insurance
Did you know most major health insurance plans with out-of-network benefits can help cover most of the costs associated with our program? Click below to find out your coverage and treatment options right now.